Thursday, May 12, 2011

Surprise!

My brother Shawn and I have always been close (except for when he was ages 11 – 16 and COMPLETELY annoying).  As an adult he’s smart, witty, charming and handsome (just ask him) with a great sense of humor – a real ‘pull my finger’ kind of guy.  He has lots of friends, is well-respected in his firefighting profession, and is beloved by his family.  His wife Vicki knows the 1 or 2 flaws that I’m sure exist, but I don’t have to live with him so I can’t speak to those.   He’s the perfect person to plan a surprise 50th party for, IF you can pull if off.  Which is exactly what our family did last night.

Our family’s tradition is to celebrate birthdays 2 or 3 times a year.  We all gather to exchange cards and gifts for the giftees and enjoy the laughter and incomparable wit that is always present.  We’ve never done a full blown he-doesn’t-have-a-clue surprise birthday party.  We had a fabulous partial surprise weekend for my sister Marie’s 50th, but she knew we were doing something to surprise her so it wasn’t the same.  Since the fam was able to pull it off, I’ll go ahead and take credit for the idea.  But a lone idea does not a successful surprise party make.

Originally I expected to be making one of my routine drives between our Dallas and Austin offices on Shawn’s birthday.  Sometimes, if the timing is right and schedules allow, I’ll stop halfway in Waco and call Shawn to come meet me at George’s right off IH 35.  I get a break from the traffic, we get a quick visit over a cold beverage, then I’m on my way.  I thought I might be able to do that on his actual birthday day.  Turned out I wouldn’t be making the trip that week.  I already had my heart set on seeing him that day, I knew he didn’t have plans as they were leaving for a trip a couple days after and our family gathering wouldn’t be until the end of the month.   It occurred to me we could possibly arrange a surprise party: it would be normal for me to call and ask for a visit as I passed through town and he knew our family wasn’t going to celebrate on the day.  

Once the idea came into my head, I couldn’t shake it.  I texted Vic to see what she thought and if it would work.   She gave me the green light.  Next, calls to mom, my sisters, all of our children, and some friends.  We decided to try it and developed an elaborate plan.  The local peeps would gather at George’s at a pre-arranged time, I’d call Shawn when I’m close to town ‘like usual’, then he would walk in and we would all yell surprise.   True, the plan was original and quite brilliant.

The key of course was Shawn.  He’s not exactly predictable, and things could change last minute.  I began to lay the groundwork, trying subtly to ensure his attendance.  During phone chats over the past couple of months I mentioned that I would be making some trips to the Dallas office in May and if one fell on his birthday day would he be available to meet me.  He said he wouldn’t be at the station so that should work.

As the date got closer I got more and more excited.  I could hardly believe we were really going to pull this off.  A couple of days before the surprise I talked to mom Vic & sisters and everything was “Go”.  The day of I told my boss I’d have to leave early and why, he thought it was great.  Emailed Vic and asked if she thought Shawn suspected anything.  She wrote back and said “he doesn’t have a clue.”  Perfect – clueless was good.    Marie and I exchanged a couple of phone calls – I had a small gift, we all had cards, Mom and Vicki were bringing balloons, Mom and Marie would get there early and secure some tables so we could set the stage.  My co-workers went the extra mile and didn’t delay my leaving with questions or requests, they knew I was on a mission.  All was going according to plan.

On the drive I kept talking about it to my husband, a captive audience.  We were going to surprise old Shawnie, of all people!  If I hadn’t been driving I would have rubbed my hands together in gleeful anticipation.

Twenty minutes from town I called Marie.  All was set at George’s, people were on their way, it was raining – Thank God! – but everyone was still coming.  I hung up and was going to make The Call when my phone rang.  Shawn cell.  I answered. 

“Hey there, I was just going to call you.  I’m about 20 minutes away I think.”

“Ok, where are you?”

Dang, where was I?  I’d forgotten to figure out the appropriate town on the north side to answer his question and make the timing work.   “Somewhere between Hillsboro and West, pretty close to West I think.”

“Well be careful.  It’s raining here pretty hard, is it raining there?”

Geez, I had no clue what the weather was like in West, I was in Troy!  God gave me a little help and right then it started sprinkling.   “It just now started sprinkling, not raining hard here.”

“Really?  Wow, the weather there looks worse than that so it must be coming your way.  Listen, I’m over here at the Cryin’ Shame and I wondered if you might want to come over here.  I’m already here, they bought me a brew for my birthday and it’s not far from the highway.  But if you’d rather go on to George’s I can leave and meet you there in about 20 minutes.”

Aaack!!!   We can’t change the venue – everyone’s already at George’s, appetizers ordered, Balloons tied on the chairs, tables positioned to be on the lookout – the Shame wasn’t gonna work.   “Well, I guess I could, but George’s is so much more convenient for me.  Would you mind just coming on over there?”

He said he would and we agreed to meet as planned.  Whew, that was close.  I called Marie and told her what had happened.  We both gave sighs of relief at the close call, she updated me on who was there and who was on their way, and we hung up.

By now it was raining really hard.  I had to slow down on the interstate just to make out the signs.  But at least I’d managed to keep the Surprise alive, and that was all that mattered.  Then the phone rang.

“Hey, it’s me again.  Listen, it’s raining really hard now, and a friend just bought me another birthday drink, are you sure you won’t just join me over here?  It’s really close to the interstate, I can tell you how to get here easy, and it’s not that far out of your way, really.  I sure would appreciate it.”

Well great.  Supposedly I was alone and on my way back home – any other time of course I’d be happy to meet where he wanted.  It would be very suspicious if I did anything else, just wouldn’t be like me.  So I put on a fake happy voice and said, “Ok, sure, that makes sense and it’s no problem at all.”   I listened as he gave me specific directions on how to get there and then said I’d see him in a few.

I called Marie again.  She said no way could they move everyone over there, logistics just wouldn’t work with all the moving parts and people still headed to George’s.  She suggested I just go on over to the Shame, tell him what was up and get him to come over to George’s.  I hated to be this close to the Surprise and not be able to pull it off, but maybe that was the only thing to do.  At this point I had to go to the Shame.  I told her to talk to Vic and Mom, figure out a plan and call me back.  I looked up to see my exit and got off the interstate to get on Hwy 6, driving toward the Cryin’ Shame.  And it was a cryin shame, I was so disappointed.

Phone rings again.  This time it’s Vicki.  “Look, we just can’t all go over to the Shame.  We’ve staked out the best tables here, food is on the table, presents and balloons are ready, that’s not going to work.  Why don’t you go to the Shame, tell Shawn you are hungry and really want the wings at George’s, get him to come over here?”

Hmm, I could try it, but there were lots of places around the Shame to eat and besides, I wouldn’t know a George’s wing if it flew in my face and Shawn knew it.  I told Vicki as much.  “How about this”, I said.  “Call Shawn, tell him you’ve talked to me, asked me what I wanted to eat and you’ve already ordered it?  Or something – I just don’t know what will work to get him to move.”

She said she’d call him and call me back.  Geez, this was getting not only ridiculous but now the Surprise was on me!   Dang brother.

Phone rings again.  Vicki.  “It’s all set.  He’s on his way to George’s.”  You’d better change course and get here as fast as you can.”

“What in the world did you tell him??”

“I told him I was already here, that I’d ordered my food and yours, and he needed to just get over here!”

Ah, the power of a wife :)    Perfect.  Only she could make that happen.   Great, the Surprise was on again!

I looked up to see the exit for the road I needed to take to change course again and get to George’s hopefully before Shawn did.  I jerked the car to the right just in time, barely making the exit and hoping I was in the correct lane – it was raining so hard I couldn’t tell for sure. 

Down Waco drive, over to Valley Mills – dang these traffic lights!   Speight, Speight, where was that …. Ah, there it is.  Left at the light on Speight, then only a few blocks to George’s.

There was a parking spot in the front – thank you once again, Lord.  We walked in and were met by my niece Melissa.  As we made our way to the back of the restaurant I saw them – it was Perfect!!!   The perfect location, by the windows where we could see when he pulled in, enough chairs with wonderful balloons tied to them, and our waitress Jennifer had just the right personality for our group.  We were doing it – the Surprise really was going to happen after all!

After the drive from Austin I was ready for a visit to the ladies room, but didn’t dare miss Shawn’s entrance.  I hugged everyone: Vicki – “thanks for saving the day, girl!”, Marie – “you picked the perfect spot”, Mom – “the balloons look great!”, pretty nieces Melissa and Mindy, and nephew-to-be Chase, friends.  Paul found us places to sit and I looked out the window.  Any minute he would be here, and I was going to have my Surprise :)

Sure enough, in about 3 minutes we saw his gorgeous new Chevy truck pull in, looking for a parking space.  We waited for what seemed like hours, then I spotted his hat coming in the door.  He walked inside, and went straight to the mens room.  Great – HE got a potty break but I didn’t.  Not fair. 

Waiting, waiting, waiting.  Another decade passed.   Then I saw his hat again, and Marie said “You’re on – go get him!”   I met him at the doors to the room, gave him a big hug.  “Were you coming or going?”  he asked.  “I saw your hat so I was coming to meet you.  Do you have a favorite table?” I replied.  He looked at me kinda funny.   In my excitement, I had completely forgotten the entire near miss – of course, Vicki had already told him we had a table and our food was ordered!   Ooops.

“Oh, that’s right – it’s right over here.”    I stepped aside so I could watch his face when he saw the table.  It was priceless.  The Look was everything I had hoped for and more.  ehHeHdm;lkjasekHe He


He was definitely clueless, and completely, totally, utterly Surprised.  

The rest of the evening was completely enjoyable.  In typical Shawn fashion, once he got over the shock he was in full form, holding court at the head of the able, reading cards, reacting to presents (the adult diaper with motorcycle stickers over it was perfect for this Harley man) and making the rounds to hug and pretend-chastise everyone.  At one point he told me how worried he was about the weather I was driving in coming in from the north side.  It took a while to sink in that I never was in Dallas that day, that Paul and I made the trip from Austin just for his birthday.   In the end he thanked us, and my happiness was complete – he really did enjoy his Surprise.

It wasn’t a huge party, it wasn’t fancy, and not everyone we wanted to attend could be there.  But we did it: the family pulled it off and we loved every minute of it.   A few Big O’s, good food, great fellowship, lots of smiles with laughter and much, much love.   The perfect Surprise.

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet sis you are :) And sounds like you have great experience under your belt now to plan the perfect surprise birthday party for ME, since mine is coming up in just a couple of weeks! I'll try to act surprised when it rolls around :)

    ReplyDelete