Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lessons Learned from the Duke Disaster

My mother says that a seed of something good always comes from something bad.  It’s been over 24 hours now since the Duke Disaster, and I learned some things from the post I did about it.  I was reminded that writing isn’t just something I do, it’s who I am.  I’ve known I wanted to be a writer since I was 10 years old.  From the rhymey poems of a 10 yr old , the lovesick songs of a teenager, to the book I’ve written and am currently trying to get published – it’s all I’ve ever really wanted to do.  I can’t not do it.  It’s the main reason I journal my prayers each day (the other is it is so cool to go back and look at how God has answered them!) and it’s what gives me delight in sending handwritten notes to people.   And God has placed me on earth in a time where technology makes it incredibly easy to reach anyone anywhere who might be interested in what I have to say.  I love it!

Instead of taking my hurt out on my beloved husband or his beloved pet, I decided to actually DO something I’ve been wanting to do for a while.  I started my blog, and with a few helps from my friend Allison within a couple of hours I had it set up and published my first post.  It’s almost ironic – what a productive and satisfying result born out of reaction to destruction.  I learned that it's not about my circumstances but my reaction to them.
Other lessons I was taught in the aftermath of Hurricane Duke:  I would much rather preserve the relationship I have in my marriage by finding a way to work through my feelings than act like a shrew.  I learned just how much sentiment one can attach to something that was given from the heart by someone who was once a big part of my life.  I learned that it’s hard for men, the ‘fixers’, when the situation is something they can’t fix.  I learned that Duke knows there is a time to respect our distance and just walk past me quietly with no greeting or snorting or nipping or tail waving.  One day soon I’ll feel like petting him again and brushing him and talking to him, but not now, and he seems to get that.   Which I appreciate; I’m not a fast transitioner when emotions are involved.  I learned that I like Pete the cat’s new food bowl better than his old one.  I learned that my daughter remembers the pink doll with the music box inside and knows why it is special to me.  I learned that our carpet is so ready for replacement that even the dog is not interested in chewing or ripping it.  I learned a new appreciation for my sister’s special way with words and helping me see things from a different perspective.  I was reminded that my family has such tender, caring hearts couched in a delightful sense of humor bound with compassion.  Why should I stay be upset about mere things when I have such wonderful people in my life?  And after looking at Christmas pictures I remembered how much my granddaughters love Duke.  Who knows, maybe one day they’ll teach me how to be a fan.

Oh, and my husband said he's decided we are getting new French doors in the living room  :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, the damage was worse than I thought! But major props to you on being mature and finding a way to make lemons out of lemonade... I haven't yet learned how to do that in my 27 years of life!

    ReplyDelete