Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Doors and Eeyore Too

So we priced those new French doors for the living room, following the Duke Disaster.  Wow, I had no idea a set of those doors could cost $2,000.   Without installation.  My husband, being a man of his word, was determined to try and make up for the Duke damage by replacing the new doors.  But after we poured over the color glossys of different styles, I told him that all we really needed was new security.  If there was a way to make the doors we have lock securely with just the easy turn of a knob, I would be all for it.  He promised to work on it on Saturday.

And boy did he deliver.  I was out that morning doing errands and visiting with my son, and when I returned home Mr. Handyman greeted me with the news that the doors were fixed.  I was so excited I dumped the mail onto the couch and walked over to check it out.  A brand new shiny deadbolt lock was perfectly mounted on one door, two new strike-plates fixed sturdily into the other, and the lock moved easily from open to closed.  Duke was standing on the other side hoping to be let into the house where previously he had to break and enter.  But I had other ideas.  I opened the door, said “Stay”, and then closed it and locked it with one quick flip of the knob.  I did my happy dance, and I confess I even said “nanny nanny boo boo” in a singsong voice to the Dukester who was still standing on the other side.  I tested my speed on opening, closing and locking the door several times, each time ending with a different salutation to the Duke:  “Love ya, bye!”  “See ya, wouldn’t want to be ya!”   “Hey look, I’m in and you’re out!”   It’s the little things in life that make us happy, and I am proud to stand before you and say I am a very happy wife.  And my husband is a very smart – and handy – man.

There are other surprising new developments from the Duke Disaster.  Saturday husband discovered Eeyore buried in some bushes in the back yard!   He was wet and muddy but completely intact and hardly showing signs of trauma.  I’ve already replaced the original Eeyore from a previous Duke invasion - that Eeyore ended up just a pile of cotton stuffing.  I didn’t even list him on my list of casualties, thinking that perhaps I wasn’t meant to have Eeyore on my Pooh Bear and friends shelf.  But here he was, dripping wet and ready to be cleaned and brave the Grandkids Room once again.  This is progress!   This is good news indeed!!

Replacement Grandma Bear came in the mail today, and she is happily adjusting to her new home on the Berenstain Bear books shelf.   She will never know the anxiety of wondering when the Duke will wander in, ready for bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment