Monday, March 7, 2011

Playing in the Puddles

I got caught in a rain shower Saturday morning during my neighborhood walk.  It was a tad too cold for that to be pleasant, but I had just visited with my neighbors and didn’t mind. 

As I walked in the rain, my mind wandered back 20 years ago to when my children were little, both under age 6.  We loved taking walks in the neighborhood after a spring shower.  We would take off our shoes and splash in the puddles on the sidewalk.  If it had been a downpour, we delighted in walking in the street right next to the curb where the rain rushed like a mini-river, swirling around and between our toes and running under our feet.   I can still feel that water – soft and pleasant and clean, freely making its way through our foot-barriers and dancing on to its gathering place.  

A simple pleasure, but a very fond memory for me.  I wonder if my son or daughter remember how much fun we had - how we laughed at the silliness of walking in rain rivers, or how sometimes we got to see a beautiful rainbow.  I hope so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment