Sunday, March 10, 2013

Liam

Liam.  His name rolls off the tongue, feels and sounds almost liquid.  Like the way he feels in my arms when I hold him.  His soft newborn skin, the way his eyes move to the sound of one his parents’ voice or try to focus on me when I talk to him, and the completely trusting way he sleeps against me have stolen my heart.

I am blessed with many grandchildren, three of whom share my DNA.  Liam is the latest on the scene, my first grandson, son of my son.  His great grandmother Owen and great aunt Marie already say he looks like his daddy; he’s not quite 2 weeks old but I too see the resemblance. 

Liam is a happy, healthy, cuddly little boy.  One look at him and you just want to reach out, fold him into your arms and stay that way for hours because the passage of time just does not matter.  His mother of course is the one he needs most right now and if he is hungry his searching mouth with its beautiful full lips let you know he needs her sooner than later.  But he responds to his dad’s numerous kisses too, accepting them graciously if he is sleeping, or sweeping his eyes up to his dad’s face if he’s not.  Either way is precious to behold.

Best of all, Liam is 10 minutes away.  Not 200 miles or 4 hours or another state or even another country.  He’s right here, and his generous parents say I can come by as often as I want to for a fix.  I praise God for forming him into a healthy baby in his mother’s womb, for his mother’s discipline during the pregnancy and courage during delivery, and for the privilege of being present at his almost miraculously ‘easy’ birth.  Father, you have given me yet another precious gift in this newest of 12 grandchildren.  To say Thank You is inadequate, so I shall live out my gratitude by loving, nurturing and praying for this little one as best I know how until he is old enough to approach you on his own and find joy in relationship with his Creator.  Bless his parents and his big sister, and thank you for families filled with love.

No comments:

Post a Comment